Colin's Comment

Thursday, July 20, 2006

I hate it when Don King is happy… it’s not that I’m a jerk, it’s just about the only time that my good buddy and fellow cartoonist Don King is happy is when it’s really really hot out. It’s hot and it’s going to get worse this weekend, so if this blog degenerates into random, incoherent babbling don’t be surprised…

Lovejoy, winterbottom the last of the toothpaste sailed down the toilet to the green pastures of Broccoli Hills in the Gaspe to meet the King of Pain… King of Pain… I’ll always be King of Pain…

Something like that…

On the radio show today we sat down (over the phone to Toronto) with Jeet Heer, a comics scholar (doing his PHD on Little Lulu or some such thing) to talk about George Herriman, the creator of Krazy Kat. Now, I’ve always tried really hard to like Krazy Kat because I know that is considered a comics classic but I never quite got it myself. Cat loves mouse, mouse hates cat, dog loves cat who is not interested in dog. Same damn joke for 30 years! Well, Jeet Heer tries to explain it to me carefully, fortunately he kept the academic speak down to a minimum (my dad was a history prof so I know of which I speak) and we had a good discussion. Something that amused me about those early cartoonists in the twenties, they seem like a rough bunch, going to the fights, fighting, smoking and drinking. The sort of in your face he men you might see in the old movies, quick with their fists. "Sporting types" as Jeet would say. Not like most cartoonists today. I think that’s a good thing. Ran around looking for cheap ink cartridge refills, had to go to a lumber yard to buy a piece of mylite to glue my “pirate tea lady with cat and carronade” painting that’s going into the 3rd annual pirate show this weekend. If the bloody thing ever dries that is, I’m still waiting and I need to deliver it to Nicole tonight. Damn, it’s eight already…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home