Colin's Comment

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Oh my poor eyes… I need to scrape the money together to update my optical prescription. Don’t have much money right now…. Was up until the wee hours last night working on a couple of mini-comics for the Word Under the Street in late September, my annual chance to appear in front of my adoring public! It’s always good to have new “product” on the table at a public event, I usually have 3-4 new mini’s including the annual 9-11 comic that I begin writing on the ist anniversary of September 11th. It’s me venting my spleen and trying to understand the fallout from 9-11 and the chaos of our Wars of Religion of the 21st Centaury. This year should be a dozy. So much to talk about, such fury and folly. And no clear way out…

The comics I’m working on right now are somewhat lighter in tone, the first is Self-Indulgent #15, a cop show parody starring Ole Osaka, a crusty Swedish-Japanese-Canadian police detective on the greatest crime committed in Vancouver in decades… the murder of three trees. The other is Shitman, the Man Made of Shit. The title says it all, really… if you can’t beat’em, join’em. Rather than be uptight and whining about a flood of infantile comics I’ve decided to jump into the deep end! I must admit, it’s fun…

It’s nice to do the odd mini-comic now and again, it does take me away from working my graphic novel but I need the break. The graphic novel is going to take years, mini-comics are a way to take a break and do something quick and dirty, very dirty in the case of Shitman! I’m not sure I’ll do any more, I’m thinking of doing a mini about the “Great Undefended Border’, all about the times the United States and it’s citizens have threatened to “liberate” Canada. It’s happened more times than you might think. I’ve been taking a spiral sketchbook with me when I watch TV with pre-penciled layouts mini-comic size, so I’ve actually been spending much of my TV time writing mini-comics. When I’m happy with the pages I rip them out of the sketchbook, take them to the drawing table, letter and ink the pages with brush tipped markers. Okay, they do look a little rough but I’m embracing the fact that I am such a clunky inker, it doesn’t bother me, I don‘t mind being loose as long as its legible. Who knows what might emerge from that mind of mine? Hee hee hee…

I’ll be helping to pre-record an interview Tony Millionaire on Tuesday for broadcast on Thursday! I have a great deal of admiration for Mr.Millionaire’s work, its so lovely… so much in such a small space, although as a teatotaller I admit I find the themes of booze and suicide in Maakies rather disturbing!

1 Comments:

At 12:55 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand that Millionaire is having to scale back his drinking lately, but like most drunks and ex-drunks he's loaded with good stories. Let's see, ask him about the picture of his lucky coonskin cap that was in Vice magazine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home